Friday, April 2, 2010

They Keep Hatching and Hatching...

I realize it is Easter and maybe that is why our chicks are hatching like Energizer Bunnies. Every time I look in the incubator or open an e-mail, they are hatching and hatching. Yesterday after we posted to the blog we had three more hatch in our office. This morning when I came in I looked in the incubator and two more were waiting for me. It looks like there is one more on the way. For those of you keep count we have hatched 23 so far. The sweetest thing was seeing them sleeping this morning.
Most of them were curled up together but two were away from the group nuzzled up against each other
while another seems to have fallen asleep whileeating. It is tiring work being so cute.


When I checked my e-mail Mrs. Armstrong at Pembroke elementary e-mailed me. In the six classrooms they conducted this project in they have had a total of 55 chicks hatch. All I can say is WOW!

Mrs. Davis from Rex-Rennert said they had about 9 hatch per incubator or a total of 36 in their classrooms. She said this is the most she has ever had hatch.

I have also gotten a handful of thank you notes from students at Knuckles Elementary. I can tell you each and everyone of them learned so much that they almost filled up the page with what they learned. While I appreciate their thanks I must give a special thank you to the teachers who were brave enough to implement this project and curriculum in their classrooms and to the principals who are so supportive of this project and encourage their teachers to do it.

I hope everyone has had a great time doing it and stay tuned because we will be giving out incubators again April 12 and eggs on the 14th. One of our 4-H parents is even giving us a few blue and pink eggs to hatch as part of this experience. If you would like to come by and see our our new babies as we get ready to hatch them they will be located in the lobby of the O. P. Owens Building. As far as our chicks we have hatched, they will be leaving us today headed to their new home with a teacher from East Robeson, who has a backyard flock. She came by today and saw them and fell in love with them and we know they are going to a very good home.

No comments: